For help on how to configure your inbox on multiple devices, visit the Gmail Help Center.
Why is my email being delivered to the Gmail promotions tab?
Gmail delivers marketing and some bulk emails like special offers, deals, and other promotional messages to this tab. Emails typically sent through MailChimp, Constant Contact, and other email service providers end up in the promotions tab automatically.
How to get emails delivered to the primary tab in Gmail
The primary inbox tab in Gmail includes emails from people you know and any messages that don’t get sent to the other tabs. This process is hard to control as it’s really all up to each user or recipient.
How users deliver messages to the primary inbox tab
Users can either move messages from the promotions tab into the regular inbox to have them delivered there in the future, add your email address to their contact list, or they can disable the tabs altogether.
How to deliver promotional emails to the primary tab
- Ask your subscribers in a welcome email to add your “from email address” to their contacts. In Gmail, this can be done by hovering over the sender’s name in the email and clicking “add to contacts.”
- Personalize your email and address your contacts by name. Most email systems allow for using a “personalized token” such as the first name to be used in the subject and in your email content.
- Write to your contacts as if they are your friend. This is a good idea for inbound marketing techniques overall for higher engagement. For example, start your email with “Hi Chaz! We’d love to see you at our grand opening event on April 10. We’ll have free samples and a drawing for a free fishing tour.”
- Avoid using spam-like characteristics in your subject line.
- Spell it correctly! Just spell check and make sure everything is grammatically correct. Too many mistakes in your subject or body of the email, and you’ll be marked as spam. If you would like some recommendations check out our 5 apps to make you a better writer blog post..